It is June 20th, that means the last day of one year and the beginning of a new one. I love my birthday. I love that it’s smack in the middle of the year. I feel like I get a 2nd chance to do things again. Like I get to start another year, in the middle of the year. Anyways, 28 was a pretty good year. Trying to think if I made it to achieve all my goals, but well, I can’t even remember the goals… Oops!!!
For a while now, I’ve been blogging about lessons I’ve learned at the end of one year and this year will not be any different.
1. 28 saw me get engaged to a high school sweetheart only to break up after a few months. It isn’t because he was a bad person, if anything, he is one of the nicest people I know, I think we just were not on the same page. It made me learn that marriage is a major decision, not to be taken lightly and mental, emptional and spiritual maturity are required. And speaking the same language is very important as well.
2. 28 taught me that friends are friends are friends and you cannot be friends with the whole world. I don’t mean acquaintances, I mean people who will pick up your call at the middle of the night. You don’t have to talk to them daily but you know they are always there.
I met a young lady who has become such a close friend it’s almost difficult to believe we’ve only known each other year.
I reconnected with another who we had ‘broken-up’ and right now, really good friends. Life is interesting.
3. Professionalism is important in a place of work. And we don’t need to be friends for us to be professional with each other, we just need to be professionals. And no, we don’t get to choose when to be or not be professional, that’s not professional at all. I have been accused of having too lofty ideas about the workplace and how it should run, but I’ve seen it work elsewhere and it’s very difficult for me to accept mediocre when extraordinary can be achieved.
Oh, leadership is not about a title but more about the influence you have on the people you lead. Their success is your success.
4. I joined the sales team. Oh yes, sales team. I’m still learning how to walk there. It’s a challenge. Cold calling and getting no’s is not too easy. But I guess you get used to it. I haven’t gotten there yet though. It still gets to me. Oh, marketing is my passion and so I always find myself veering off to marketing thinking which can lead to missed opportunities planning too much. But I need to find a way to balance the two.
5. I have met some awesome people this year. Some who I think will be friends for good. My motto was ‘Just Do It’it still is. I got out of my comfort zone on certain things but I found my cocoon more comfy. I play it safe a lot. I like being in control, so its almost impossible for me to just let loose. I am glad though that I stuck to my guns on certain issues.
6. 28 is when I kinda got a big chance to live out my life’s purpose. Suswa Girls came to my radar. I have been asked to be a mentor to the girls. I’m over the moon about it. Can’t wait. This will be an answer to a very long prayer…
8. I got to talking to a poet and photographer who blogs and whom I had a huge crush on and that is going well. Not too sure about too many things but well see what 29 has in store.
9. God is all I want. When all is said and done, He is the one I want. He is the friend that sticketh closer than a brother. He is the one who loves me unconditionally, and He always has my best interest at heart. That love, that’s all I need to be the best version of myself. And so 29, I will endeavour to trust Him completely. It has always been my biggest challenge but I shall try very hard to do it.
P/s: it always takes me aback when someone younger, as young as 14 or 15, walks up to me and tells me ‘ you’re very pretty,’ that is a compliment I accept with a big smile as I know it comes from a genuine place.
I have my hopes and dreams for 29. I will pray over them and maybe share them here, we’ll see. But 28 has been a pretty good year.